Embedded Intelligent Systems Laboratory
@ Yonsei University
연세대학교 지능형임베디드시스템 연구실
Welcome to the Embedded Intelligent Systems (EIS) Lab at the School of Integrated Technology, Yonsei University!
We are interested in a broad range of research topics within the domain of mobile and embedded computing systems, cyber physical systems, intelligent computing and human-computer interaction. Overall, we are interested in how we can design various forms of computing systems in a human-centered manner.
The basis of our research is in identifying interesting system-level requirements for real-world applications, and spans to designing hardware/software prototypes for addressing challenging application tasks. Specifically, our lab focuses on research topics such as low-power embedded/mobile computing systems, sensing-based context recognition systems, and ambient intelligent mobile sensing system design for applications such as healthcare, transportation or buildings.
We are always on the search for devoted students to join our research group. If you are interested in building smart embedded systems and performing research in this domain, please send us (anyone in the lab) an email! Note that we have limited spaces for students, so make sure that you are willing to work hard and have strong programming skills (C, Java, Python or whatever language you like the best) before contacting us.
News and Lab Log
- Our paper on enabling autonomous emoji recommendations for mobile chats (together with Sung-Ju Lee's group at KAIST) will appear in the ACM Transactions on Social Computing.
- JeongGil will be serving as the "Special Event" co-chair for ACM SenSys 2020. We are preparing an event to facilitate sensing systems-related research for students. Additional details will be announced from the ACM SenSys 2020 website.
- JeongGil will be serving on the TPC for IEEE ICDCS 2020.
- JeongGil will be serving on the TPC for IEEE SECON 2020.
- Our paper on presenting experimental results for wireless power transfer in low-power network systems will be published in IEEE Access.
- JeongGil joins the School of Integrated Technology at Yonsei University.
- The Embedded Intelligent Systems Lab has moved from Ajou University to Yonsei University!
- Eunseong's work on designing a scheme for supporting DTLS-based combined storage/communication security for IoT systems has beed accepted to IEEE MASS 2019. Congratulations Eunseong!
- Our paper on measuring heart rate variability using the smartphone front camera has been accepted to ACM SenSys 2019! Sinh worked on this project during his visit at the EIS lab. Congratulations Sinh!
- JeongGil will be serving as the Demo Co-chair for ACM/IEEE IPSN 2020.
- Jaeyeon will be starting his summer internship at CSIRO in Brisbane.
- Jungmo's IEEE DCOSS 2019 publication on VOC classification will be fast tracked to the Ad Hoc Networks Journal!
- Our paper on designing a light-weight certificate for IoT devices is accepted to the Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies. Congratulations Hyuksang!
- JeongGil is awarded the Best Reviewer Award from ICT Express.
- JeongGil will receive the Ajou Publication Award for the publications in 2018.
- JeongGil will be organizing the Second International Workshop on Computing for Well-Being (WellComp 2019).
- Our paper on designing an IoT system for classifying VOC materials is accepted to IEEE DCOSS 2019! Congratulations Jungmo!
- Our paper on exploiting user perception information for saving power on mobile AR headsets has been accepted to ACM MobiSys 2019! Congratulations Jaewon and HyeonJung!
- LpGL won the best demo award at ACM HotMobile 2019! Congratulations Jaewon and HyeonJung!
- Our lab hosted the first Korean Symposium on Mobile and Ubiquitous Computing
- JeongGil will be serving as a TPC Co-Chair for IEEE COMSNETS 2020! Please consider submitting your work! http://www.comsnets.org/
- Two demo papers accepted to ACM HotMobile 2019. Congratulations to Jaewon, Hyeonjung and Seungchan!
- Our paper on designing a MAC protocol for intra-body networks is accepted to the Sensors Journal. Congratulations Seungmin!
- JeongGil is appointed as an associate editor for the Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (PACM IMWUT).
- End of year dinner with everyone in the lab + Hyuksang!
- Woojin successfully defended his masters thesis! Congratulations!
- Jaewon and his team is awarded the first place prize from the Open Source Software "Contributhon" hosted by the Korean Ministry of Science and ICT. Congratulations!
- Our work with the ophthalmology department on applying VR systems for children with intermittent exotropia is accepted to be presented at the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus Annual Meeting. Great work Jaewon and Seungchan!
- HyeonJung will be joining our lab as a Ph.D. student starting March 2019. Congratulations and Welcome!
- Woojin will be joining KT as a software engineer upon his masters graduation from the lab. Congratulations!
- Our paper on identifying VOC materials using a smartphone has been accepted to the ACM CPD 2018 workshop. Congratulations Jungmo!
- JeongGil will be serving on the ACM MobiSys 2019 TPC.
- Our paper on designing a smartphone notification system for drivers is accepted to ACM Ubittention 2018. Congratulations HyeonJung!
- Jungmo is selected as a Global Ph.D. Fellow by the National Research Foundation!! His studies and research on embedded deep learning models will be supported by the Korean government! Congratulations!!
- Seungmin and HyeongJung's posters are accepted to ACM Ubicomp 2018!
- HyeonJung will be visiting Keio University this summer as a visiting researcher working with Prof. Tadashi Okoshi.
- Taewoo will be visiting University of Duisburg-Essen this summer as a visiting researcher working with Prof. Rasit Eskicioglu and Pedro Jose Marron.
- Eunseong will be starting a summer internship at the Advanced Research Institute for Social Trust (ARIST).
- Hyuksang has successfully defended his master's thesis! Congratulations Hyuksang! He will be joining mBrain Inc. as a researcher as part of his mandatory military service.
- JeongGil will be serving as publicity chair for EWSN 2019.
- JeongGil will receive the Ajou Publication Award (Bronze) for the publications made in 2017.
- Our paper on designing sensor network algorithms for supporting image-based deep learning systems is accepted to PLoS ONE. Congratulations Jungmo and JaeYeon!
- Hyeonjung will join our lab as an undergrduate intern. Welcome Hyeonjung!
- Our proposal on developing a Korean Sign Language translator using gesture recognition will be funded from the National Research Foundation from 2018.03 to 2021.02!
- Our article on identifying lesions in the small intestine with capsule endoscopy devices will appear in the IEEE Computer Magazine! Congratulations Jungmo!
- Congratulations to Eunsung for his best paper award (undergraduate research projects) at the Korean Institute of Communications and Information Sciences Winter Conference 2018!
- Our paper on capturing engagement-levels for mobile gaming is accepted to the Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT) and will be presented at ACM Ubicomp 2018! Congratulations Seungmin!
- JeongGil has been elevated to be an IEEE Senior Member
- JeongGil will be on the external review committee (ERC) for ACM MobiSys 2018.
- JeongGil will be serving on the IEEE DCOSS 2018 TPC.
- JeongGil will be serving as the co-workshop chair for ACM UbiComp 2018.
- Eunsung will be joining our lab as a Ph.D. student in Spring 2018! Welcome!
- JeongGil will serve on the PC for ICCCN 2018.
- Our paper on designing efficient in-loop filters for HEVC decoders will appear in IEEE Transactions on Multimedia.
- Our paper discussing the limitations of RPL will be published in the IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials.
- JeongGil will be serving on the ICDCS 2018 TPC.
- Our work on improving low-power network performance with deployment height will be published in IJDSN.
- MediSense has been accepted to ACM SenSys 2017! Congratulations JaeYeon and Woojin!
- JeongGil will be serving as the publicity chair for ACM HotMobile 2018.
- JeongGil will be serving on the EWSN 2018 TPC.
- Jaewon will be joining our lab as a Ph.D. student this fall! Welcome!
- Congratulations to Jaeyeon and Woojin for having their paper accepted to IEEE EMBC 2017!
- Our paper on detecting children with 3D depth cameras has been accepted to ACM TOSN!
- JeongGil will be serving on the external technical program committee for ACM SenSys 2017.
- We moved! Our lab is now at Paldal Hall 913.
- JeongGil will be serving as publicity chair for ACM MobiCom 2017.
- Our paper on classifying the accuracy of smart watch heart rate sensor readings will appear at ACM HotMobile 2017! Congratulations Jungmo, HK and Sion!
- Best wishes to Jaewon on his 8 week internship at Naver.
- JeongGil Ko will be serving as a director board member for the Korean Institute of Medical Informatics and the Korean Institute of Communications and Information Sciences during the 2017 term.
- Congratulations to Jungmo for winning an honorary mention award on his undergraduate research, Jaeyeon's team for winning an honorary mention award on their Senior Capstone Design project, and Jungmo, Woojin and their team for the 1st place prize on their Senior Capstone Design project at the 2016 Ajou Software Festival!
- Our proposal in initiating a Digital Healthcare Software Testing Center will be funded from the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy from 2016.12 to 2021.11!
- JeongGil will be serving on the ACM Digital Health 2017 TPC.
- JeongGil will be serving as the ACM MobiSys 2017 Ph.D. Forum Co-Chair.
- JeongGil will be serving as the workshop co-chair for IEEE MDM 2017.
- As of March 2017, Jaeyeon will join our lab as a Ph.D. student (Ph.D.-Masters Integrated Course), Jungmo, Woojin will join as masters students, and Jaewon will join as an undergraduate intern. Welcome all!!!
- JeongGil will be serving as a member of the external review committee for ACM MobiSys 2017.
- JeongGil will be serving on the IEEE ICDCS 2017 TPC.
- JeongGil will be serving on the ICCCN 2017 TPC.
- Our paper on smart markets will be published in the IEEE Communications Magazine.
- Our research grant proposal for designing an intra-body communication system for future combat network systems will be funded from 2016.11 to 2022.10 by the Defense Acquisition Program Administration and Agency for Defense Development!!
- Congratulations to Jungmo for winning the best poster award for the work during his summer internship at KETI.
- Our paper on using software defined radios on smartphones will appear in the ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks (TOSN).
- JeongGil will be serving on the ACM HotMobile 2017 TPC.
- Best wishes to Seungmin for starting his internship at the Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI).
- Our paper on designing a reliable and energy efficient packet delivery scheme for asymmetric transmission power-based networks has been accepted to the ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks (TOSN).
- Our paper on designing schemes for WSN-smartphone interaction will be published in the International Journal of Sensor Networks!
- Congratulations to Jungmo for starting his summer internship at the Korea Electronics Technology Institute (KETI)!
- We will receive a 3 year research grant as part of a Eurostars Project, funded by the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy (in Korea) and Vinnova (Sweden), for performing research on designing a light-weight security certificate for resource-limited IoT devices with the Swedish Institute of Computer Science (SICS) and neXus!!
- Congratulations to Jungmo and Jaeyeon for having their papers accepted to IEEE RTCSA 2016 WiP track!
- We will start a research project (2016.06-2019.12) on analyzing medical images for designing smart endoscopes as part of Ajou University's Microscopic Diagnosis System Research Center funded by the ITRC project, Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning (MSIP)!
- Congratulations to Nakhyun for successfully defending his masters thesis!
- Seungmin's first paper is accepted to ASSET/MobiSys 2016! Congratulations Seungmin!!
- JeongGil Ko will be serving on the EWSN 2017 TPC!
- Hyuksang Kwon will be joining our lab in fall 2016 as a new Masters student! Welcome Hyuksang!
- We've received funding from the Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI) for developing a low-complexity long-distance localization system for LoRaWAN-based platforms!
- JeongGil will be serving as a guest editor for the "Scientific Programming Journal" special issue on "Ubiquitous Bio and Sentimental E-Health Intelligent Systems"! Please submit your work!
- Our paper on efficiently controlling Miracast multimedia streaming on mobile devices will appear in the IEEE Systems Journal!
- We will be starting a collaborative project with DGIST (2016.05.-2017.04.) on implementing low-resource demanding clinical event detection software for wearable healthcare platforms!
- JeongGil now holds joint affiliations between the Department of Software and Computer Engineering and the Department of Biomedical Informatics, School of Medicine.
- JeongGil will be serving as a TPC member for INFOCOM 2017!
- Our paper on achieving a low-complexity power splitting/allocation algorithm has been accepted to the IEEE Systems Journal!
- Awarded a 3 year (2016.04-2018.12) research grant from the Ministry of Health and Welfare for developing a deep learning model for sepsis detection using clinical and biosignal big data!!
- JeongGil will be serving as a co-chair for the KICS Smart Transportation Workshop held in Seoul, May 26-27 2016!
- JeongGil will be serving as the IoT Expo Co-Chair for ACM/IEEE IPSN 2016!
- Jungmo and his team (SetupBox) has advanced to the finals in the Naver D2 Campus Fest 2015! Congratulations!
- JeongGil will be serving on the board of directors for the Institute of Embedded Engineering of Korea (IEMEK) from 2016 to 2017!
- Lab website publicly launched!
- Paper accepted to ACM HotMobile 2016!
- The lab accepts its first batch of students for Spring 2016! Seungmin Kim (M.S. Student) / Jungmo Ahn and Jaeyeon Park (Undergraduate Students)
- Received best demo award from ACM SenSys 2015!
- Paper accepted to IEEE Systems Journal!
- JeongGil will be serving as WiP Chair for IEEE RTCSA 2016!
- JeongGil joins the Department of Software Convergence Technology at Ajou University as an assistant professor!